Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Brad Cook's SMiLE Edit - Repost

This is a repost of my 3rd favorite SMiLE ever made. This one is by Brad Cook and I originally posted this May 1, 2010. This version is so psychedelic I can barely get my head around it.

It starts off with the silent hum of a 60s record... Moments later a bizarre Spanish influenced instrumental song plays several bars of a repetitive figure before violently bursting into a triumphant and unique edit of Heroes and Villains featuring the "My Children Were Raised" section of this song with the "boys and girls" backing vocals very prominent. This mix feels very authentic and I accept and consider this very close to how an official Smile release in 1967 would have sounded (namely far out, brilliant and slightly static-y).

There were some attempts made to clean up the sources for these tracks, but the creator of this mix mostly left the tracks alone, meaning if there was background hum in the original recording, you will hear it in this mix. If you like that, cool. If you don't like that, this is still a nice mix.

I also really love how vibrant Child Is The Father Of The Man sounds on this mix too. I can really hear the wood blocks and claves.

You will appreciate this mix if you download it.

1. Untitled Instrumental
2. Heroes & Villains
3. Holiday
4. Heroes And Villains Intro
5. Do You Like Worms?
6. Cabinessence
7. Heroes And Villains (Sections)
8. Prayer
9. Wonderful
10. Child Is The Father Of The Man
11. Look
12. Vegetables
13. Wind Chimes
14. The Elements Part 1
15. Water Chant
16. I Love To Say Da Da
17. Surf's Up

Download

link 1, link 2, link 3, link 4, link 5, link 6, link 7, link 8

1 comment:

Brad Cook said...

G'day Eric,
Thanks for the repost. It's great to read that you really enjoy my mix. I really wanted to do something unique as most mixes are nearly identical.
Cheerz